Early Career Award
The Society for the Neural Control of Movement is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the Early Career Award for the 2021 year. The purpose of the awards is to recognize outstanding contributions by scientists early in their careers that have significantly advanced our understanding of the neural control of movement. The awardee is named by the Board, and will have the opportunity to present the Early Career Lecture at the NCM Annual Meeting. The award consists of economy class travel to the meeting, accommodation at the conference hotel, complimentary conference registration, an engraved plaque and a $500 award presented at the NCM Annual Meeting.
For the 2021 award, the nominee MUST be:
- Working in any area of neural control of movement (broadly defined)
- No more than 10 years from the receipt of their doctoral degree as of January 1, 2021*
- A current and active member of NCM
- Have attended at least two previous NCM meetings
- Nominated by a faculty individual** (no self nominations will be accepted)
*An extension of the 10-year limit of up to two years will be given to applicants who have been granted an institutionally approved childbearing or parental leave. Similarly, the residency and clinical internship years during medical or Clinical Psychology training will not be counted against the 10 year limit. In these circumstances, documentation from the appropriate department head or institutional official will be required with the application in order for eligibility to be determined.
**Faculty nominators can only nominate one individual for the NCM Early Career Award.
Nominations are still being accepted
The following materials are required for nomination:
- Nominee’s CV, including their contact information
- A short statement from the nominee on their research program (max 600 words)
- A short statement from the nominee on how they have contributed to past NCM Meetings and how they will continue to contribute to NCM in the future (max 600 words) Please be sure to state the specific years the meeting was attended, as well as the nature of the participation (poster presenter, speaker, session chair, etc)
- Nomination statement from the nominator
- One (1) additional letter of support (should not be a collaborator or mentor)
2019: Gelsy Torres-Oviedo
2018: Andrew Pruszynski
The nominator should send all documents as a single pdf to Michelle Smith at Podium Conference Services. If there are difficulties sending the second reference letter it can be sent separately but must be received before the deadline.
Any questions regarding the NCM Early Career Award can be directed to Kathleen Cullen, NCM Vice President and Program Chair